Wednesday, November 23, 2011

As for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.


My husband, Aaron, and I were both told we could not have children.  It pretty much defeated Aaron, but I chose to believe in the "impossible" and stand on the promises of God.  I sought out every Scripture that promised the blessing of children.  And 4 years after marriage, I found out that I was pregnant.  We were excited, we thanked God, and we told everyone!

Aaron and I had a moving day, that same day, I ended up in the hospital and our dreams of having a baby came to an end.  I miscarried at 10 weeks.  Oh, I was devastated... I can recall many nights and afternoons where I sat in the room that was going to be the nursery and just cried.  I withdrew from everyone, not because I didn't want their sympathy or compassion for what I was going through... I did it because I needed to seek God on my own, cry out to Him, and let Him comfort me through this hard time.  And I'm so GLAD I did that.  One night my husband and I went to the church for nightwatch - a time of soaking in God's presence.  As I was there, God spoke to me and He gave me a vision of a beautiful baby in His arms and told me everything is OK.  That moment on I was able to move forward and once again stood on the promises of Scripture that we would have a baby.

A year went by, friends around me were getting pregnant, and I still waited patiently for my turn - though it was very hard.  Then before the year ended, I ended up pregnant! God blessed us and this time I prayed Scriptures against miscarriages!!! I had my beautiful son, Jordan, on September 3rd, 2008.  And he is truly our blessing from God!

As time has rolled on and enjoying the pressures of family life, my husband and I sat down and decided we needed to change some things.  We walked through our house praying together and asking God what things needed to be removed the home - we pitched movies, music, pictures, and even some books.  Then we sat down together and asked God for a list of family rules and how we should handle consequences.  As the rules started coming, we wrote them down and then looked up Scriptures in the Bible to coincide with the rule.

Our house rules and consequence chart is hung up on the wall.  We had a family meeting to go over the rules and consequences with our son and we showed him his "time out" area.  Since we've started using this and putting it into effect, we've had less issues with discipline and it has helped us stay consistent with our method of discipline.  This has been a life saver for us!

If you would like to see a copy of our house rules, consequence chart, and time out prayer cards, then CLICK HERE.

I am thankful that our family heeds to the Holy Spirit's promptings and that we strive to be a family that serves the Lord in all we do!

No comments:

Post a Comment